Hello friends! My name is Serena Tuomi and I am 17 years old. I am a current senior in Hibbing, Minnesota and I will be graduating in 2018 with both my high school diploma and my AA degree! My dream is to move to New York after I graduate to attend college for journalism and possibly food studies as well! I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a lover of coffee in all of its beautiful forms, and a just a very happy and positive soul!
I am very passionate about eating real food, listening to my body, and living a life of wellness and balance. After being diagnosed with an eating disorder and anorexia nervosa (you can read more about this on the page entitled ‘My Story’), I have been learning to restore my relationship with food and my body. This is where the passion that I have for balance comes from, because life is all about balance. Sometimes that means I eat a salad, but it may also mean that I have some ice cream as well. I have also been diagnosed with depression and OCD. To combat these issues I have begun to dabble in the art of living mindfully and partaking in different forms of self-care regularly. I try and always stay present in the moment and enjoy what is happening right in front of me! However, more than anything, I am passionate about living for Jesus. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.” I know that God has a plan for my life, and one day, there will be no more suffering that I will have to endure.
It is my most hopeful wish that my blog is able to inspire others. I want to inspire all of you in every way possible. I hope you come to my page and leave wanting to love yourself, love others, enjoy life, and feel the hope of Jesus.
Some Facts About Myself:
- I am a grandma at heart. I go to bed extremely early and wake up early as well… There is something beautiful about early mornings that I find enticing.
- I love, love, love dogs! I try and take my dog for a walk most everyday.
- I am a huge bookworm. I read fiction, non-fiction, magazines, blogs… You name it, I’ll read it!
- I spend time some time volunteering a few weeks every summer at Storybook Lodge Christian Camp as a camp counselor, which I love more than anything.
- I find enjoyment in both baking and cooking. I really have no limits in the kitchen! I love to experiment with all different types of foods and flavors.
- Ever since I was in third grade, I have enjoyed picture-taking of all subjects (although now-a-days it tends to mainly be of coffee and food).
- I am a big coffee girl. I looove lattes made with oat or soy milk that have extra foam… I might as well be the third Gilmore Girl(;
- My favorite season is the fall. I love the leaf colors, the festive activities, the warm drinks, the fuzzy clothes and blankets…
- I am an avocado toast addict. I have never visited a cafe that offered avocado toast on their menu and not ordered it.
- I enjoy cozy winter nights where I can cuddle with my puppy near our fireplace and watch some Netflix with some warm coffee.
- I am a plant mom, or a plant-lady. I have over 30 plants in just my bedroom alone.
- I have been bitten by the travel bug from the day I was born. I love to explore new places and have plans to travel all over someday when I have the chance to do so
- I am a very family-oriented person! I absolutely love spending time with my mom, my dad, all of my sisters, and my nieces and nephews!
Why Balancing Serena?
I chose the name Balancing Serena for a simple reason: I live by the idea of balance. In my opinion, living a balanced life is the most important way to live. Yes I am very passionate about being active and living healthy, but I also enjoy ice cream and sleeping in! Yes I do love to read and learn, but I also love to watch movies and have Netflix binges. Yes I do enjoy being out-and-about with friends and family and going on adventures, but I also love to sit on my couch and cuddle with my dog. Balance is such a beautiful thing. It allows us to experience the joys of life in all ways. It is all about listening to what your body, your mind, and your soul want in that moment.