Hello friends! My name is Serena Tuomi and I am 17 years old. I am a current senior in Hibbing, Minnesota and I will be graduating in 2018 with both my high school diploma and my AA degree! My dream is to move to New York after I graduate to attend college at an unknown place and get a degree to either work in the nutrition field or open up my own coffee shop (two very different dreams, I realize this). I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a lover of all coffee in all forms, and a totally unashamed mother to over thirty different plants that reside in my bedroom brightening the area and creating a positive space.
I am very passionate about eating real food, listening to my body, and living a life of wellness and balance. I enjoy exercising in all different forms; sometimes that means that I go for a walk, and sometimes that means that I go to the gym and lift weights. I also strive to eat intuitively. After going through, very recently, a period of my life where I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and suffered from anorexia (you can read more about this on the page entitled ‘My Story’), I have been learning to restore my relationship with food. I now have found that I feel best and happiest when I eat a whole foods diet with a large portion being plants, however I also love treats as well! Life is all about balance; sometimes that means I eat a salad, but it may also mean that I have some ice cream as well. I was also recently diagnosed with depression and OCD and so to combat these issues I have begun to dabble in the art of living mindfully and partaking in different forms of self-care regularly. I try and always stay present in the moment and enjoy what is happening right in front of me along with making sure to make time for myself! However, more than anything, I am passionate about living for Jesus. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.” I know that God has a plan for my life, and that He has a plan for all the passions that He has gifted to me and for all the hardships that He has allowed me to suffer.
It is my most hopeful wish that my blog is able to inspire others. I want to inspire all of you in every way possible. I hope you come to my page and leave wanting to love yourself, eat and move in ways that feel good, learn to love Jesus. I also hope that I can take my other passions in life and inspire you in those ways as well!
Some Facts About Myself:
- I am a grandma at heart. I go to bed extremely early and wake up early as well… There is something beautiful about early mornings that I find enticing
- I love, love, love dogs! I try and take my dog for a walk most everyday
- I am a huge bookworm. I read fiction, non-fiction, magazines, blogs; you name it, I’ll read it!
- I love to volunteer a few weeks every summer at Storybook Lodge Christian Camp as a camp counselor
- I find enjoyment in both baking and cooking… I really have no limits in the kitchen; I love to experiment with all different types of foods and flavors
- Ever since I was in third grade, I have enjoyed picture-taking of all subjects (although now-a-days it tends to mainly be of coffee and food)
- I am currently a barista at Caribou Coffee and am a big coffee girl. I looove lattes made with oat or soy milk that have extra foam… I might as well be the third Gilmore Girl(;
- My favorite season is the fall. I love the colors, the activities, the warm drinks, the fuzzy clothes and blankets…
- I am a peanut-butter addict. I have nearly 20 jars of different brands and flavors in their own drawer in my bedroom
- I enjoy cozy, winter nights when I can cuddle with my puppy near our fireplace and watch some Netflix with some warm tea
- Like I said before, I am a #plantlady
- I have been bitten by the travel bug from the day I was born. I love to explore new places and have plans to travel all over someday when I have the chance to do so
- I am a very family-oriented person! I absolutely love spending time with my mom, my dad, and all of my sisters!
Why Balancing Serena?
I chose the name Balancing Serena for a simple reason: I live by the idea of balance. In my opinion, living a balanced life is the most important way to live. Yes I am very passionate about working out and living healthy, but I also enjoy ice cream and sleeping in! Yes I do love to read and learn, but I also love to watch movies and have Netflix binges. Yes I do enjoy being out and about with friends and family and going on adventures, but I also love to sit on my couch and cuddle with my dog. Balance is such a beautiful thing. It allows us to experience the joys of life in all ways. It is all about listening to what your body, your mind, and your soul want in that moment.